To move from Kyoto to Ishinomaki and then further into the affected area to:
- Distribute carpentry tools to those rebuilding
- Gather direct information through experience to share with those wishing to go to the Tohoku region and volunteer over the Golden Week holiday and beyond
- Begin the process of creating habitable homes and community centers for those lost in the region.
After some delays due to coordination efforts between the various groups going north and creating an actual organization, we have finally once again been able to get up and do some work. We were on the highway just after midnight, David Graham of Kyoto University Hospital and Tsuyoshi of Team Sake (the fish not the drink) and me.... Read More...
Mike Barr, a Kyoto resident, traveled to the Tohoku region with Rob on the first IDRO Japan relief trip. Mike said,Read More...
Rob Mangold and David Graham are presently delivering supplies and assisting with the clean-up in Tohoku. They called this morning to report on how things were going. The conversation was short, but Rob wanted to give a big SHOUT OUT to the Japanese Self Defense Forces. He said,
From the conversation, I got the gist that he is very impressed with what has been done since his first relief trip to the region just weeks ago. Read More...
“I can’t say enough about the job these guys (Japanese Self-Defense Forces) are doing.”
To move from Kyoto to Sendai, and from there enter the affected area in order to:
1. Distribute food, clothing and toiletries
2. Gather information for future relief efforts
3. Be self sufficient
4. NOT get in the way or otherwise hamper the efforts of others
Despite many difficulties we were finally on the highway at about 2 AM. Gasoline was a most certain issue. We packed 60 liters of extra fuel in the vehicle, topping off at every point possible on route beyond Toyama city. This became obviously necessary when we found from Aizu Wakamatsu on, fuel purchases were limited to 2,000 yen at the only station open.
We drove nonstop, arriving in Sendai about 1 pm the following day. Read More...